This weekend promises to be another interesting one across the top five leagues in Europe. The title race in the Italian Serie A and the French Ligue 1 have been decided already with Juventus winning their eighth successive league title in while Paris Saint Germain also sealed their fifth league title in six years. Nevertheless, there are still exciting matches to look forward in these leagues especially in Serie A.
Moving over to other leagues in Europe, Barcelona will win their second successive league title if they beat Levante on Saturday, but the battle in the English Premier League looks set to go down until the last day. The Bundesliga title race will also go down right to the wire with Bayern Munich just a point ahead of Borussia Dortmund.
Aside from the title race, the battle for European spots is also at the intriguing stage across Europe. With many big matches taking place this weekend, these are the games that are worth staking on.
Tottenham vs Westham: Following their win over Brighton on Wednesday, Spurs will hope to pull further away from their top four rivals with a victory over London side West Ham.
- Mauricio Pochettino remains without Serge Aurier, Harry Kane, Harry Winks and Erik Lamela and Moussa Sissoko for Saturday’s welcome of rivals West Ham.
- Pochettino may make one change to his XI, with Eric Dier coming in for Victor Wanyama from the side that started the 1-0 win over Brighton, even with a Champions League meeting with Ajax next week.
- Son Heung-Min is suspended for the first leg of Tottenham’s Champions League tie and will definitely start.
- Jack Wilshere made his return from injury against Leicester last week and the former Arsenal man will hope to play a part at Tottenham.
- Another former Arsenal midfielder, Samir Nasri, misses out however, while Chicharito, Manuel Lanzini and Aaron Cresswell will be assessed, but Andriy Yarmolenko, Andy Carroll and Winston Reid are sidelined.
- Carlos Sanchez could return from a six-month layoff here, yet will likely make the bench if Manuel Pellegrini elects to name the same XI that started the 2-2 draw with Leicester, which means Lucas Perez wouldn’t feature from the off despite his goal.
West Ham have lost 7 of their last 8 away matches (Premier League).
Tottenham have won 6 of their last 7 home matches (Premier League).
West Ham have conceded at least 2 goals in their last 6 matches (Premier League).
West Ham have been losing at both half time and full time in their last 3 away matches (Premier League).
Tottenham have kept a clean sheet in their last 3 home matches (Premier League).
Prediction: With an eye on the Champions League semi-finals against Ajax, Pochettino will likely rotate his squad. However, the Lily whites should still have enough firepower to see off the Hammers. (Tottenham win or Over 2.5)
Barcelona vs Levante: The Blaugrana will be hoping to wrap up the league title ahead of their champions league semi-final clash against Liverpool on Wednesday. They face a Levante side who have only won once in their last twelve away games.
Barcelona have won their last 13 home matches against Levante in all competitions.
Barcelona have scored at least 3 goals in their last 6 home matches against Levante in all competitions.
Barcelona are undefeated in their last 22 matches (La Liga).
Barcelona have seen over 2.5 goals in 10 of their last 11 matches against Levante in all competitions.
Barcelona have scored at least 2 goals in 12 of their last 13 home matches (La Liga).
There have been over 2.5 goals scored in Levante’s last 6 games (La Liga).
Barcelona have kept a clean sheet in 6 of their last 8 home matches against Levante in all competitions.
Barcelona have been winning at both half time and full time in 5 of their last 6 home matches against Levante in all competitions.
Levante have failed to win 11 of their last 12 away matches (La Liga).
Levante have scored at least 2 goals in 5 of their last 6 matches (La Liga).
Prediction: Barcelona will definitely have an eye of the champions league clash against Liverpool but they won’t pass up an opportunity to win the league with three games to spare. They face a Levante side who sits in 15th place on the La Liga table so should have no problem seeing off the challenge. (Barcelona win or Over 2.5)
Nuremberg vs Bayern Munich: Bayern Munich will hope to maintain their lead at the top of the table when they travel to 17th placed Nurenberg. There’s no room for any slip up from Niko Kovac’s men especially with Borussia Dortmund playing a day earlier.
Bayern have won 20 of their last 25 away matches (Bundesliga).
There have been over 2.5 goals scored in 11 of Bayern’s last 12 away games (Bundesliga).
Nuernberg have failed to win 23 of their last 24 matches (Bundesliga).
There have been under 2.5 goals scored in 9 of Nuernberg’s last 11 home games (Bundesliga).
Nuernberg have seen under 2.5 goals in their last 6 home matches against Bayern in all competitions.
Bayern have kept a clean sheet in 6 of their last 7 matches against Nuernberg in all competitions.
Bayern are undefeated in their last 14 matches against Nuernberg in all competitions.
Bayern have scored at least 2 goals in their last 4 matches against Nuernberg in all competitions.
Prediction: Niko Kovac’s are likely to be two points behind by the time they kick off if Borussia Dortmund beat Schalke a day earlier. Nuremberg are dead certs for relegation, so should not pose any threat to the Bavarians. (Bayern Munich win).
Burnley vs Manchester City: Following their impressive win over City rivals Man Utd on Wednesday, City will hope to cement their hold on the top four when they take on Burnley on Sunday. However, With Liverpool set to return to the top if they beat Huddersfield on Friday, City would be fired up to take up the maximum points on Sunday.
Man City have won their last 11 matches (Premier League).
Man City have kept a clean sheet in 8 of their last 10 matches (Premier League).
Man City have won 6 of their last 7 matches against Burnley in all competitions.
Burnley have seen over 2.5 goals in 6 of their last 7 matches against Man City in all competitions.
Burnley have scored at least 2 goals in their last 4 matches (Premier League).
Man City have scored at least 2 goals in 6 of their last 7 matches against Burnley in all competitions.
Man City have scored at least 2 goals in 5 of their last 6 matches (Premier League).
Prediction: This match is the trickiest of all the remaining matches for Manchester City especially with Burnley still not safe yet. However, with so much at stake, City are expected to pick up the Maximum points. ( City win or over 2.5)
Manchester United vs Chelsea: This is a match neither teams can afford to lose. It’s been billed as the top four battle with the losing team likely not to finish in the top four. United will be hoping to bounce back having lost their last three games while Chelsea who currently sits in the final spot for the Champions league will hope to pull further away from their rivals with a victory. A draw will do no good for any of the team’s prospects with Arsenal and Spurs also in the mix for the final two spots for the Champions league.
- Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer named a surprise XI for the 2-0 defeat at home to Manchester City on Wednesday and it remains to be seen who he will pick for the reception of Chelsea.
- Matteo Darmian made his first league start since Jose Mourinho’s final match in charge of United in the derby defeat in midweek, while Andreas Pereira was picked ahead of Nemanja Matic.
- David de Gea’s form has sunk to new lows but Solskjaer has confirmed he will not drop the Spaniard on Sunday.
- Romelu Lukaku, Anthony Martial and Alexis Sanchez were substitutes in midweek and will hope to start against Chelsea.
- Ander Herrera has trained since Wednesday and is expected in the matchday squad after a six-game absence through injury. Scott McTominay failed a fitness test prior to the City game and will need further assessment before Sunday.
- Callum Hudson-Odoi faces a long stint on the sidelines after undergoing surgery on an Achilles tendon injury. Pedro or Willian will deputise for Hudson-Odoi on the right flank at Old Trafford.
- Ross Barkley or Mateo Kovacic will hope to replace Ruben Loftus-Cheek in midfield on Sunday, whole Andreas Christensen will continue to deputise for the injured Antonio Rudiger.
- Marcos Alonso missed the 2-2 draw with Burnley through injury and remains a doubt here. Emerson will hope to keep his place at left-back even if Alonso proves his fitness in time.
- N’Golo Kante picked up a rib injury on Monday night but it would be a shock if he didn’t feature here.
Prediction; Chelsea go into the game given United’s recent form. However, Solskjaer’s side will want to prove a point in front of their fans. (Draw or Chelsea win)
Roma vs Cagliari: ( Roma Win)
Dortmund vs Schalke ( Over 2.5)
Leicester vs Arsenal ( Over 1.5)
NB: Bet wisely